The aim of this one-day workshop is to provide you with practical tools that will increase your options when responding to conflict.
This workshop addresses Collaboration and Communication on our Leadership Competencies Framework.
Facilitator - Gay Pavelka
What do you do when confronted with people who emphatically disagree with you or each other? How do you respond to conflict in a way that acknowledges differences, creates collaborative discussions and results in a solution everyone can live with? Being challenged and remaining effective in conflicts can be emotionally demanding without sufficient skills to give you confidence.
This workshop provides both a structure for understanding conflict and practical skills that make a difference so your future interventions can give results. You will gain increased confidence from learning and applying a range of approaches to turn challenging behaviour into objective or constructive discussions.
This workshop qualifies for NZTE's Capability Development Voucher Scheme.
This workshop is designed for team leaders, people supervising others or those wanting to act as a fully participatory team member. Staff who are dealing with both external challenges and internal challenges will benefit from this workshop.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- understand and diagnose the nature of the conflict
- guide a discussion through the phases from problem to solution
- apply practical tools that can increase confidence in responding to challenging behaviour.
- Understanding the conflicts we work with
- Steps to take discussions from conflict to cooperation
- Skills to help people talk safely and build working relationships including:
- finding common ground when we disagree with people
- reframing messages and the content of discussion from negative to constructive
- how to say 'no' honestly and respectfully
- being persuasive
- "I probably learnt more about my own behaviours in conflict situations. The tools learnt will help me with my own self confidence at work."
- "Course content was perfect and I am much better equipped to manage conflict."
- "Most interesting, worthwhile and beneficial for anyone working in the public domain."
- "I found Gay's relaxed attitude and ability to draw in the group was very helpful."
- "Great day to discuss how to work through difficult situations."