The aim of this two-day workshop is to provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to move to a more senior or comprehensive project management role.
This workshop addresses the leadership behaviours of Adaptability, Collaboration, and Decision Making on our Leadership Competencies Framework.
Print this page
This workshop addresses topics that go beyond the operational planning and control of a project. These may be seen as the 'softer' albeit critical aspects of project management that emerge when the practitioner moves to a more senior or comprehensive project management role. The advanced topics are structured to address the project environment, the leader's role, the team and problem issues that surface during execution.
This workshop qualifies for NZ Trade and Enterprise’s Capability Development Voucher Scheme.
This workshop is for those with responsibility for managing or leading projects at a more senior or comprehensive level. It is assumed that participants have some experience and/or training in project management. It is not focused to any particular sector or industry, and as such, is applicable for any individual or organisation wishing to develop a more professional approach to delivering projects.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- appreciate the aspects needed to fulfil the role of project manager
- understand the important aspects required to lead a project
- form a project team as well as lead the team
- understand the need for sound decision making and problem solving in the project context
- plan and track multiple projects
- deal more effectively with issues such as conflicts, changes and resistance to change, and contract management.
Brief refresher overview of project management principles
The role of the project manager:
- Role during project definition
- Role during project planning
- Role during project execution
- Leadership vs management
- Leadership styles and motivation principles
- Situational leadership and influencing
- Project management leadership options exercise
Project team management:
- The project team
- Team roles
- Team development
- Mentoring the team - change issues, coaching
Project execution issues:
- Problem solving
- Personal and project time management
- Conflict management - options exercise
- Dealing with and managing change
Managing multiple projects:
- The challenge of multiple projects
- Independent and interdependent projects
- Some tools that can help
The project manager and contracts:
- A brief perspective on contractual principles
- Variations during project execution
- Managing a contract - some do's and don'ts
- Contractual and legal liability and the project manager
Close out; summary and conclusion
- "Excellent course - good relevance at a pace that was easy to follow. Well worth it."
- "Piet was an excellent presenter. He would relate topics back to you in a way that you can implement in your work."
- "Great course."
- "Very well run."
- "The course was great - so much to be aware of that I would never have thought about."
- "Very skilled presenter. Material excellent - course had good pace and content. Great use of humour."